The Mehrauli Memoirs Part 8: The Labyrinth

Read Part 7: Zafar's Absent Grave by clicking here

Once I got over my sense of disappointment and sadness over the state of Zafar Mahal, I repeated the Maps process and settled in for a long-distance walk to the intriguingly named Bhool Bhoolaiya. Wading through courses that were labelled ‘main road’ – often footpaths that merged into houses, temples, stores, and parking lots beside them, I finally reached a wider-ish road. I term this road ‘wide’ because I had space to dodge traffic. Here there was a slight difference in the chowk setup. There was a police station, bhelpuri stands, sugarcane juice sellers, municipal offices, and buses! I had chanced upon Mehrauli Central bus station. Beside it, a Lord Krishna jagran blasted out of sanctified speakers. Opposite it was a typical Lodhi Gardens style tomb, though it was built during the Mughal reign. Again not the ‘bhool bhoolaiya’ I had in mind, but it would do.

Adam Khan was a general of Akbar and this was his tomb. It got such a name because apparently, people disappeared in it once. The sanctum is widely locked since. Outside, it is well-attended. Raised above the surroundings, the wide platform serves as a walking and jogging track to many who choose the tricky hurdle of dodging bat and pigeon droppings. Romantic couples, school kids, all frolic. It is pretty, with a great view of Qutb Minar. The platform also has rudimentary decorative fortifications with room-like structures.

 

I finally rested here. There was a cool gentle breeze. Suddenly a group of kids asked me if they could call a friend. I dialled the number. They had a conversation. They did not even say thank you. Children really need to go to school (Bharatiya uncle strikes again!)

The Sun was setting and the golden light made everything look a little bit better. The Krishnaprem had also winded down, and I set off. I had to meet someone at Khan Market.

In the maze that is Mehrauli
I am lost
In the maze that is its memory
History says – let me be lost.

Read the final part, Part 9: The Way Back by clicking here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Mehrauli Memoirs Part 6: Where is Zafar?

The Mehrauli Memoirs Part 7: Zafar's Absent Grave

The Mehrauli Memoirs Part 3: The Video Call